Friday, September 5, 2008

Rejects Whatever Part II: Return to Reject Mountain

  There are a few different kinds of rejects. Here we see the hot girl with a big nose that you draw ugly just cuz. I use to tiptoe around girls like this, but not no more. The girl I drew was actually really cool and polite and nice, but she didn't want her drawing. She was shocked when she saw it, and then she was all, "You tricked me!" What? I never heard that one before. Maybe, since she's a woman, she can just tell when she looks into my eyes wether I find her attractive or not. Maybe, as I was drawing her, she felt that same sort of connection that guys and gals feel for each other, so she assumed the drawing would be really pretty, and when it wasn't she felt tricked? Something like that maybe. Anyway, I enjoyed drawing it, and it did look like her, and it was a smoothe reject so no big deal. I did hear laughter over my shoulder from her family though, so somebody got away with free entertainment. C'est la vie.




  Or how bout them inexplicable rejects. This was for a cute little girl, and it looked just like her, and it was cute also. There's no accidental added ugliness, but they stopped me and let me know they weren't so pleased. I said, "that's fine, so and so can draw her." That was the end of it. 

  Looking at the drawing now, I'm thinking, maybe it's the slightly asymmetrical head-shape. Lo Que Sea.

  And then there's the irate boyfriend who thinks his girlfriend is ugly, but doesn't want anything to remind him of it. This girl seemed really wonderful as I was drawing her. She has been drawing since she was very young; thinking of going to school for illustration; always wanted a caricature. So, I set out to be really honest in my drawing, because I know that's what artists like. 
  This drawing definitely had some resemblance, but it was far from perfect. As I look at it, her face and personality don't pop into my head, like with a really good caricature or portrait, but it's not super crazy either. I didn't even get to put in her moles, and she had a lot of um. Her boyfriend said, "I'm gonna stop you here." Then I said, "I'm not done." I don't recall exactly what he said after that, but it wasn't typical reject banter, it was a little sarcastic mixed with some disrespectful. He was trying to stand up for his girl or something, and tell me what's what and ask where the manager is. He really wanted to be the cool one in the situation, but he wasn't cool, because he thinks his wonderful artist girlfriend is ugly. What she needs to do is find a good man that'll treat her right and jack her face up. I can be that man! I love your brow ridge and your big tooth and your wide neck! Whatever.


  The moral of the story is the same here as it is in the book by the Founding Father. Rejects, very rarely, are your craziest drawings. So keep being honest, and keep jackin faces, or whatever.

11 comments:

KEV said...

HAHAHAHAHAHA!

justfrancesca said...

truer words were never spoke

Impy said...

LMAO this whole post was HIGH-larious!!!

Mr. Urzua said...

thats some crazy stories. you should make a book and call it Rejects....oh wait.
well maybe Rejected....ha!


its awesome how you analyzed every situation, almost accuratly it seems...did you double major?

good stuff

Aaronphilby said...

no. Im glad you liked it though. I tried to make the writing enjoyable.

Marlo said...

Yes, lovely writing! thanks for the very true comment

Unknown said...

love it aaron. thank you.

chris chUa! said...

ha ha, your commentary rules.

Aaronphilby said...

Thanks, Marlo and Sam and Chris. (:

Jordan said...

love the anaylsis, Aaron. i never realized that those dudes (boyfriends who think that their girlfriends are ugly) could be acting like armpits for a reason.. also, i just found out about this awesome illustrator, Rutu Modan (http://modan.blogs.nytimes.com/2007/09/04/queen-of-the-scottish-fairies/). cheers. =>

Aaronphilby said...

Thanks, Jordan. I checked out Rutu. His stuff is awesome!