Tuesday, December 5, 2006

Two Different Approaches to Caricature

This is my neighbor. I drew him from many photos. This is just one.
This is my first attept. As you can see, I was trying to simplify and generalize, turning him into a machine or something. Even though I wasn't satisfied with this drawing, I think it captured the gist of his personality.
This drawing I was more happy with. It includes very little generalizing and just pulls on those features which need be exzaggerated. The ear is generalized a lot though.

1 comment:

chris chUa! said...

I agree with what you are saying, but I still like the 1st crazier one a LOT better. just way more unique and more interesting. it's something I'd come back to stare at. the 2nd is good, but after seeing the 1st, it kinda pales, IMO, and isn't as memorable.

also, not really sure I'm getting the likeness on the 2nd one as much. you got the mouf but I was thinking his nose and eyebrows would be more prominant as opposed to the brow. also, your background in the 2nd seems kind loosey goosey with no form, in a distracting way.

I love seeing multiple caricature studies of the same person though, keep'm coming if ya can!